After a particularly strong storm passes your area, it’s understandable to want to check on your roof the first chance you get. After all, it’s your home’s first line of defense against the elements so any damage it sustains can affect the rest of the structure. Unfortunately, some homeowners don’t exactly know where to start when it comes to inspecting their own roofs.
In this article, ExteriorPros, one of the country’s best storm damage repair companies, lists down five steps you can follow if you’re planning to inspect your roof after a storm.
- Visual Inspection – To start off your post-storm inspection, you can start at ground level with a pair of binoculars. Take a walk around your property and look for any shingles that may have blown off from the roof. While you’re at it, check your yard as well for blown-off shingles that you may not be able to see when looking at the roof itself.
- Check Gutters – Gutter companies also recommend that you check on the status of your home’s gutter system after a storm. Make sure that it hasn’t been damaged and that troughs remain firmly attached to your home. Otherwise, it’s best that you call a gutter repair professional to get the system repaired or replaced if needed.
- Closer Examination – Once you’re done inspecting your roof at ground level, consider climbing the roof to complete your inspection. Take detailed notes of anything that doesn’t seem right while you’re at it so you can give it to your roof repair professional. However, this can be a hazardous task, especially if you’re inexperienced. With that in mind, it’s best to leave this step to a roofer instead.
- Look for Leaks – Inside your home, you can also check for leaks and water stains. If you spot any, this is a clear sign that your roof is damaged and will have to be repaired as soon as possible to prevent further damage.
- Call a Roofer – Once you’re finished with your inspections, you can now call a roofer for a final inspection. If there are any repairs necessary, make sure to have it repaired as soon as possible to prevent your roof from suffering additional damage.
Need roofing experts and gutter installers to do some work on your home? Simply turn to ExteriorPros. When it comes to roof replacements and storm damage repairs, we are your number one service provider. Give us a call at (301) 710-5957 or fill out our contact form for a free consultation. Talk to us today!